Mounting Linux Procfs at Boot

Boris Samorodov bsam at ipt.ru
Thu Aug 31 09:07:00 UTC 2006

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 00:22:03 +0100 RW wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 August 2006 21:55, Gerard Seibert wrote:
> > RW wrote:
> > > What's the canonical way of mounting the Linux procfs at boot-time?
> > >
> > > I've seen several recommendations to add the following to fstab:
> > >
> > > linproc    /compat/linux/proc      linprocfs     rw  0  0
> > >
> > > But in a standard installation, this mount-point is really under /usr,
> > > which isn't mounted until pass 2. If I change the pass number to 2, it
> > > fails with an "unexpected inconsistencies" error. I presume this is
> > > because mount is trying to fsck it, and failing to find fsck_linprocfs.
> >
> > This is what I have in my /etc/fstab file:
> >
> > linprocfs /compat/linux/proc  linprocfs rw   0    0
> >
> > Is this what you are referring to?

> I tried it and it didn't work. Irrespective of whether it should begin linproc
> or linprocfs,  /compat is a link to /usr/compat, and /usr isn't mounted at
> that point. Do you have a different arrangement?

Can't confirm that the problem exists:
$ uname -a
FreeBSD srv.sem.ipt.ru 6.1-STABLE FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE #2: Wed May 17 23:26:59 MSD 2006     bsam at srv.sem.ipt.ru:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SRV  i386

But what do you mean "/usr isn't mounted at that point?". Have you
read man fstab?

> BTW I'm running 6.1 (upgraded from an original 5.3 install)

Usually an output of "uname -a" is much more informative here. 6.1 may
mean release, release + security patches, stable... And a platform
also is of interest here.

WBR
--
Boris Samorodov (bsam)