6.1 crashing, no vm dump

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Thu Aug 31 03:45:54 UTC 2006

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 05:14:01PM -0500, Laurence Sanford wrote:
> I'm not much on posting mystery stuff for people to try to solve, but
> I'm at the end of my rope with this one. I have a box that's been pretty
> stable until very recently, and I don't know if I may have missed
> something important that was posted somewhere about a problem, or what.
> I can reproduce crashes with this system through disk activity though.
>
> Example situation:
>
> I'm downloading an ISO @ 300+ K/s, and ftp a 3 gig file from this system
> to another system on my LAN at the same time. It will simply reboot. No
> error message, nothing in the logs, it just reboots.

That typically means "marginal or failing hardware".  There's lots of
discussion of people with similar problems to yours in the archive,
but the short answer is: test and/or replace all your hardware
components until you find which one it was (start with CPU fan, power
supply, cabling, clean out accumulated dust, etc).

Kris