SMP detection

Skylar Thompson skylar at cs.earlham.edu
Wed Aug 30 21:44:33 UTC 2006

Jordi Carrillo wrote:
> Skylar,
> So, 50% is used for processes and the other 50% to handle hardware
> interrupts. Is that right?

I believe so, but the blurb that I read that in is from 2003. There's a
good chance someone will jump in to correct me. :)

It was in /usr/src/UPDATING:

20031022:
        Support for HyperThread logical CPUs has now been enabled by
        default. As a result, the HTT kernel option no longer exists.
        Instead, the logical CPUs are always started so that they can
        handle interrupts. However, the extra logical CPUs are prevented
        from executing user processes by default. To enable the logical
        CPUs, change the value of the machdep.hlt_logical_cpus from 1 to
        0. This value can also be set from the loader as a tunable of
        the same name.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar at cs.earlham.edu)
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/