taking many 198k mp3 files and converting them to 16k mp3

andrew clarke mail at ozzmosis.com
Wed Aug 30 08:48:19 UTC 2006

On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 06:13:40PM -0400, steveb at erienet.net wrote:

> > I suppose I can buy a DVD-R[W] and fnd out, but is there any reason
> > why I can't have many hours of audio on a DVD?  In other words, id a DVD
> > *only* for video?   --Might be nice to gather (parts of) my favorite CD's
> > onto one Very long-playing disk.
>
> If your DVD player can't play mp3s, then it can't play DVDs. ;)
> Remember, mp3s are the audio layer of mpegs. And DVD videos consist of
> mpegs.

The main issue I've had is that some (particularly older) DVD players
won't recognise the file system on data DVDs (neither ISO or UDF), and
so won't see that there are MP3s on the disc.  The same players happily
accepted MP3s on data CDs though.

Blank CDs are also dirt cheap.  Based on my rough calculations, you
should be able to store about 3000 minutes (50 hours) of 32 kbit MP3
audio on a single 700 Mb data CD.