NFS exports file errors

up at 3.am up at 3.am
Wed Aug 30 01:36:35 UTC 2006

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 up at 3.am wrote:

> > > I did, using this sytax, like I always have:
> > >
> > > / -ro -maproot=0 192.x.x.1
> > > /usr -ro -maproot=0 root 192.x.x.1
> > > /var -ro -maproot=0 root 192.x.x.1
> > > /home -ro -maproot=0 root 192.x.x.1
> > >
> > > where 192.x.x.1 is the IP of the only host I want to have access.  I tried
> > > switching to your syntax (taking out the "-0" and putting in " root" but I
> > > get the same results...
> > >
> > > James Smallacombe		      PlantageNet, Inc. CEO and Janitor
> > > up at 3.am							    http://3.am
> >
> > i thought the syntax was maproot=root,  thus,
> >
> > / -ro -maproot=root 192.x.x.1
> > /usr -ro -maproot=root 192.x.x.1
> > /var -ro -maproot=root 192.x.x.1
> > /home -ro -maproot=root 192.x.x.1
> >
> > if that doesnt work, then i would remove the -ro, out of wondering if it
> > could be colliding with the maproot=root.
>
> According to the man pages and the FreeBSD manual (years old) either sytax
> should work (numeric UID or username), but I tried it anyway, to no
> avail.
>
> I just did a "mount" on the server, and here's what I have:
>
> su-2.05b# mount
> /dev/ad0s1a on / (ufs, NFS exported, local)
> devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
> /dev/ad0s1f on /home (ufs, local, soft-updates)
> /dev/ad0s1d on /usr (ufs, NFS exported, local, soft-updates)
> /dev/ad0s1e on /var (ufs, NFS exported, local, soft-updates)
>
> So, in spite of the errors for the /usr and /var file system, they get
> exported (and I can access them from the client), the /home FS is NOT
> exported and I cannot access it.  The / file system has no errors and is
> fine...

Replying to my own post...I've since tried stopping and restarting
rpcbind, nfsd and mountd on the NFS server...I tried binding rpcbind and
nfsd to the "main" IP address of that server (it has multiple).  Now, I
get the errors for all file system but root and can only mount the remote
root file system, not /usr, /var or /home.  I killed portsentry on both
client and server before starting, since I noticed rpcbind was complaining
about an address already in use (it went away after I killed portsentry
and restarted it all).

What really makes no sense is that it is functioning partly...the root fs
mounts fine.../usr and /var did earlier, but no longer do.  It makes no
sense to me.

up at 3.am							    http://3.am