Migrating from 4.10-STABLE TO 6.1-STABLE questions

up at 3.am up at 3.am
Tue Aug 29 20:25:40 UTC 2006

Hi:

I'm in the process of doing a clean install on an older server that was
running 4.10-STABLE to 6.1-STABLE.  For the most part, it's been smooth,
but I have a few questions:

On boot, I get a couple of kernel messages that don't look optimal, and I
just want to make sure there's no cause for concern.  As always, I built a
custom kernel with the stuff taken out that I'm pretty sure I don't need.
This is an Intel L440GX dual PIII-1k MB with an Adaptec SCSI RAID:

acpi0: <PTLTD   RSDT> on motherboard
acpi0: Power Button (fixed)
acpi: bad write to port 0x070 (8), val 0x43
acpi: bad read from port 0x071 (8)
---
I noticed that acpi isn't in the standard Kernel config but loaded from
an external file called "PAE"...is this an issue?  Should that and/or the
SMP file be edited when rebuilding the kernel?
----

atkbd0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
sio0: <16550A-compatible COM port> port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on
acpi0
sio0: type 16550A
sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio1: port may not be enabled
sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio1: port may not be enabled
pmtimer0 on isa0

This is the serial port driver...I may want to have one serial port
enabled for remote console redirection...in the old kernel config, I'd
just choose a driver with a different IRQ...but I don't see that option in
the new GENERIC line I copied:

# Serial (COM) ports
device          sio             # 8250, 16[45]50 based serial ports

I'd just like to make sure everything's ok before I stick this in a colo
center.  BTW, old FreeBSD used to put kernel binaries under /.  I don't
see them now...just curious, how is it handled now?

Thanks!

up at 3.am							    http://3.am