VTOBUS FAILED

stan stanb at panix.com
Mon Aug 28 17:08:52 UTC 2006

I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem on a Sun Ultra40 with 6.1 STABLE
AMD64 on it, that looks like a hardware problem (Signal 10 aborts while
compiling a kernel for instance). I have taken the root SATA disk out of
this machine, and put it in another similar (but not identical U40). I
thought that I would be able to confirm that it is a hardware problem on
the first machine by booting off this disk, and repeating the things that
failed on the suspect machine.

However, with the disk in the 2nd machine, I get the boot menu, and during
the kernel's hardware detection phase, it panics with a VTOBUS FAIL
message.

What's a VTOBUS, and why would this disk not be bootable in the 2nd
machine? he 2nd machine has 2 dual core CPU's vs 2 single core in the
problematic ones, and it also has a SCSI card in it. The kernel on the disk
is most likely a custom one. Is thee a way to try booting from the GENERIC
kernel on the disk?

(Dennis Ritchie)