mail to root

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Mon Aug 28 15:06:05 UTC 2006

jekillen <jekillen at prodigy.net> writes:

> Unfortunately, there is not to my knowledge a comprehensive
> text that will offer an analysis of every possible mail message to
> root and what it means.

Well, no, any more than there is a comprehensive text that will list
every single noise your car might make and what it means.

> rc.conf to set the aliases and rebooted the machine. The new aliases
> didn't
> show up with ifconfig so I added them with ifconfig ( I must have made
> a mistake
> in the rc.conf lines).

Right.  Sounds like you put inappropriate lines in rc.conf, which is
only supposed to contain variable settings, not actual commands.

Since you didn't show the lines you'd added, we can't suggest the
right way to do it, but look at the if settings in rc.conf(5) and the
Handbook description of configuring networking.

Good luck.
		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/