BSDstats: Just added - Vendor Stats

Joao Barros joao.barros at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 08:37:01 UTC 2006

On 8/27/06, Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton at gmail.com> wrote:
> What I think is interesting is the only ~50% uptake of FreeBSD/amd64
> on 64-bit x86 capable systems. FreeBSD/i386 takes ~90% of the pie.
> Also the less then 1% uptake of sparc64 and alpha ports and 0% for
> FreeBSD/PPC. Maybe we should can some of these platform ports, how
> much overhead do they add to the project?

Speaking of sparc64 specifically, what you see in the stats most
probably doesn't reflect reality.
One of the sparc64 machines in the stats is mine and is at home.
Most sparc64 machines running FreeBSD will be at companies (as non
sparc64) and of those you'll only get a small percentage of them
reporting to bsdstats. Even if you got the sysadmins to install
bsdstats you have to convince the security team on having a call home
app running.
Just Kris Kennaway's "playing" sparc64 machine with 14 cpus, has more
than the sparc64 cpus currently reported in the sparc64 category.
And after Sun handing over some new machines with the Niagara cpus to
the FreeBSD folks to port to what would you say to Sun and the
developers who committed to this?

Again, I think we're seeing a distorted version of reality here and
shouldn't be jumping to conclusions very fast.

--
Joao Barros