sendmail

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Sat Aug 26 18:59:05 UTC 2006

On Friday 25 August 2006 16:00, eoghan wrote:
> Hello
> Im using sylpheed for my mail (its work mail). Having some issues
> sending from their smtp server to non-work accounts.
> I have sendmail installed but I have never used it before and am
> wondering if I can use this through my local machine to send my mail?
> Thanks
> Eoghan

You can, but I would advise you not to do it if you are sending from an
ordinary isp account ip address, i.e. one where the reverse dns shows
something clearly autogenerated rather than an meaningful server name.

About 70% of all spam, and very little legitimate mail, comes from such
addresses, so it's becoming a very easy target for aggressive spam filtering.