Errors with Dovecot

White Hat pigskin_referee at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 26 17:28:19 UTC 2006

FreeBSD 6.1 STABLE
Dovecot 1.0 rc2
Postfix 2.4

I recently installed Dovecot on my system to act as an
LDA and POP server. I have a simple mbox setup running
with
Postfix. Dovecot works as a POP server, but will not
operate an an LDA. When I attempt to use it as such
the mail gets
hung up in the mail queue. This is from the dovecot
log file:

deliver(jerry): Error:
open(/var/mail/.temp.whitehat.football.net.1928.e70d4dd9d14583ce)
failed: Permission denied
deliver(jerry): Error: file_lock_dotlock() failed with
mbox file /var/mail/jerry: Permission denied

This log continues with the same error message for
each message it attempts to deliver. Postfix can
deliver the mail
without any problems however.

I cannot seem to figure out what I am doing wrong. I
assume someone else in this forum is also using
Dovecot as an
LDA. Perhaps they can enlighten me.

Thanks!

Jerry