NGE Network Driver Problem.

Jeremy Karlson karlj000 at unbc.ca
Sat Aug 26 06:06:52 UTC 2006

On 25-Aug-06, at 14:37, Robert Huff wrote:
>>  After doing some digging, I've found that there was a patch
>> applied to
>>  RELENG_6, modifying the sk driver to ignore my revision of card, and
>>  instructing the re driver to attach.  This is probably why it
>> works for
>>  Robert and not for me; he's probably running 6 <something>, while
>> I'm
>>  still on 5 STABLE.
> 	That machine is -CURRENT, and was at the time of the hardware
> change.  NB: at the time this happened, the pci scan code did not
> automagically connect the card to the re driver; however, forcing
> the loading of if_re.ko did the trick.

Just for archival purposes, in case others need this; I solved my
problem by pulling the modifications from RELENG_6 into my local
source, and recompiling my kernel with the drivers included.  I don't
seem to require the kernel module like Robert does, as the driver
attaches and initializes when compiled right in.  The files to look
at are: if_re.c, if_sk.c, if_skreg,h, and if_rlreg.h.

Thanks for your help Robert.

-- Jeremy