Too many Xorg modes

Bob Johnson fbsdlists at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 22:16:57 UTC 2006

On 8/24/06, Perry Hutchison <perryh at pluto.rain.com> wrote:
> In 6.1, how would I set up xorg.conf to restrict Xorg to a few
> specific modes?  The Xorg.8.log created during xorgcfg shows 24
> modelines, but when I cycle through the modes using CtrlAltPlus
> there are two which don't work at all and the remaining 22 cover
> only 8 resolutions (of which only about 3 seem likely to actually
> be useful.)

I don't know if there is an easier way, but I just copy the modelines
I like from the log and paste them in the xorg.conf file. Put them in
the "Monitor" section.
E.g.:

ModeLine "1600x1200"  162.00  1600 1664 1856 2160  1200 1201 1204 1250
+hsync +vsync

I use modelines that give 60Hz vertical sync because there is a
transformer sitting next to my monitor, and at 70Hz sync rate the
display wiggles at 10 Hz.

- Bob