TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA errors

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Fri Aug 25 12:57:39 UTC 2006

up at 3.am wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I just installed FreeBSD 6.1 on a new Dell desktop that's going to act as
> a temporary server while I migrate two older servers (4.10-STABLE) over to
> all new software, the reconfigure it to act as a remote amanda server when
> that's complete.
>
> I've noticed a bunch of these errors in the syslog:
>
> Aug 25 11:15:15 testbed kernel: ad0: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (1 retry
> left) LBA=29736031
> Aug 25 11:27:09 testbed kernel: ad0: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (1 retry
> left) LBA=12168863
> Aug 25 11:30:15 testbed kernel: ad0: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (1 retry
> left) LBA=8026047
> Aug 25 11:50:24 testbed kernel: ad0: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (1 retry
> left) LBA=29736031
>
> I did some googling, and found some seem to think it could be a problem
> with the disk, whereas others think it's nothing.  Before I put this thing
> into production, even if it's only going to be there for a couple of days,
> I'd like to make sure.
>
> Please reply directly, as I am not subscribed.

I have a stack of SATA drives that all exhibited that behavior just
prior to barfing on three mail toasters and a web server. I think I
changed 8 drives in 10 months (all new servers). We went back to only
ordering SCSI now for production servers. SATA might be nice for gamers
and desktops, but I would not use them for heavy activity production
such as mail queues.

Yes, we went back and forth with the supplier, cables, connections,
vibration, NOC temperature, etc. The replacements would still fail
within a few months. We since replaced the Maxtor and Fitzy drives with
a specific model Seagate which seems to survive.

Just one guys 2cents worth.

DAve
Veterans?