pkg database backup and restore

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Wed Aug 23 22:23:36 UTC 2006

DW <spock at dwinner.net> writes:

> If part of a normal backup routine, we are regularly backing up
> /var/db/pkg, how can we best use that backup in a scenario in which a
> machine needs to be rebuilt from scratch, and we're trying to save
> time going through and doing a portinstall on everything we can
> remember that should be installed? (or alternatively taking a backup
> of the results from a periodic "pkg_info > installed_packages.txt" and
> painstakenly going through the list and reinstalling everything
> one-by-one).

If you are reinstalling all the ports anyway, and you know which ones
they are, then you probably don't need /var/db/pkg for the restore.

Feeding the list of packages into portupgrade for installation would
make the ports reinstall much less painful on the humans involved.

		http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/