Cluster mail system using FreeBSD

Philip Hallstrom freebsd at philip.pjkh.com
Wed Aug 23 16:28:32 UTC 2006

> I am looking for the best possible solution in order to setup a High
> availability mail cluster using FreeBSD (smtp/imap/pop server with 1000
> accounts).
>

> Selected software are as followed :
> -----------------------------------
>
> - Postfix
> - Amavisd-new
> - SpamAssassin
> - Courier Imap
> - DCC-DCCD
> - Clamav
> - a web mail (not yet selected but probably horde)
>

> The idea is to offer a simple and very efficient solution in order for the
> server to have a 100% uptime under any circumstances.
>
> I would like (if possible) to stick to software available in the ports (for
> ease of maintenance).
>

> I was first thinking about using Linux-HA aka. "heartbeat" and syncing the
> two boxes using rsync ?
>
> What other solution would you think of ?

Can't really help with the HA aspect, but I'd take a look at:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/mail/postfix-policyd-weight/pkg-descr

"Policyd-weight is (as the name says) a weighted policyd for Postfix.
It uses HELO, MAIL FROM and the MTA IP address for scoring their
correctness. It also uses definable DNSBLs and RHSBLs in a scored
fashion."

I've been using that instead of spamassassin (which can be a memory hog)
and very little spam makes it through.  It's nice in that it doesn't even
have to accept the message body to do it's thing.

Also, consider, clamsmtp

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/security/clamsmtp/pkg-descr

for tying clamav into postfix without having ot use amavisd...

And lastly, you might take a look at roundcube for webmail...

http://roundcube.net/