DVD Hardware Errors

Jason Morgan jwm-freebsd-questions at sentinelchicken.net
Tue Aug 22 22:51:26 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 12:32:06AM +0200, Jose Luis Alarcon Sanchez wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have a i686 machine with FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE. It works very well...
> except the DVD player. This is the line the kernel show at boot about
> this unit:
>
> acd0: DVDROM <Pioneer DVD-ROM ATAPIModel DVD-116 0122/E1.22> at
> ata1-master UDMA66
>
> Well, this DVD works allright with diferent GNU/Linux flavours, without
> any kind of problem. But in FreeBSD is continuosly giving this error
> kernel lines:
>
> acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG HARDWARE ERROR asc=0x08 ascq=0x03 acd0: FAILURE
> - READ_BIG HARDWARE ERROR asc=0x08 ascq=0x03...
>
> This line is repeated many times when a program try to read the DVD and
> only stop when the program finish. If i mount a data CDROM (or DVD) i
> can do "ls" of the content but if i try copy any file to the hard disk
> the answer is "Input/output error". This is the /etc/fstab stuuf:
>
> /dev/acd0          /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
>
> Only the music CDs are "well played", but nothing to do with movies or
> data.
>
> The player is not damaged, with GNU/Linux works very fine...
>
> Anybody in this lists knows if this unit have a reported
> "not compatibility" with FreeBSD?, or anybody have a similar problem
> with others DVD or CD players?. Any solution, please?.
>
> Thanks you very much, in advance. I am really desperado with this.

Try mounting the device as SCSI cd device. I have to do the same with
a Pioneer DVD-ROM (a DVD-118, I believe). You'll need (at least)

device          scbus
device          cd

in your kernel. I had trouble using acd but haven't had any since I
began using cd. Someone else should be able to explain why the Pioneer
DVD-ROMs play better with cd.

Good luck,

Jason