FreeBSD on Dell PE850

Boris Samorodov bsam at ipt.ru
Tue Aug 22 16:54:24 UTC 2006

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 09:22:47 -0700 (PDT) unixforums 1 wrote:

> Alt+F4 didnt show anything. Alt+F2 did show at the end of the install:

> Before installing the Linux compatible module
> "mv: rename /boot/GENERIC to /boot/kernel: No such file or directory"

To avoid getting this (and many others) error and getting an
unbootable machine I always use only _minimal_ install of the base
system. It takes only a couple of minutes, btw. When (and if) I get a
bootable system I continue on doing other stuff.

> During the linux module install I saw these errors:

> "ldconfig: warning: /usr/local/lib: No such file or directory
> ldconfig: warning: /usr/X11R6/lib: No such file or directory
> Linux mode is not enabled.
> kldload: cant load linux: No such file or directory
> The linux kernel module could not be loaded.
> Please enable linux model manually and retry.
> pkg_add: install script returned error status"

> If I exit the install and reboot the server I get this error:

Do a minimal install and the other stuff after a reboot. ;-)

> Unable to load a Kernel!
> /
> cant load 'kernel'
> Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
> OK"

> I think it is only a problem with 6.1 because 6.0 installs fine.

WBR
--
Boris Samorodov (bsam)
FreeBSD committer, http://www.FreeBSD.org The Power To Serve