FreeBSD on Dell PE850

unixforums 1 unixforums at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 22 16:22:48 UTC 2006

Alt+F4 didnt show anything. Alt+F2 did show at the end of the install:

Before installing the Linux compatible module
"mv: rename /boot/GENERIC to /boot/kernel: No such file or directory"

During the linux module install I saw these errors:

"ldconfig: warning: /usr/local/lib: No such file or directory
ldconfig: warning: /usr/X11R6/lib: No such file or directory
Linux mode is not enabled.
kldload: cant load linux: No such file or directory
The linux kernel module could not be loaded.
Please enable linux model manually and retry.
pkg_add: install script returned error status"

If I exit the install and reboot the server I get this error:

Unable to load a Kernel!
/
cant load 'kernel'
Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
OK"

I think it is only a problem with 6.1 because 6.0 installs fine.

Thron

Derek Ragona <derek at computinginnovations.com> wrote: The debug screen should not be blank, in addition to this error message you
will see all the output from the install up to that point.

If this is a new install, I would blank the hard disk, and try a fresh
install.  As the install is running check the debug screen periodically.

         -Derek

believed to be clean.