devices

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Tue Aug 22 15:47:46 UTC 2006

Vizion wrote:

>As an experiment I disconnected ad0 and then rebooted from the iso image to see what would be reported.
>The installation menu reported
>No disks found!
>

>Does anyone have a clue as to what might be going on here and how I might be able to deal with  it?

It would appear that your disk controller is not supported by the
version of FreeBSD you are trying to run.  Have you checked it against
the hardware compatibility list?

You can find the controller by looking through /var/run/dmesg.boot -
with ad0 reconnected of course :-)

You could try a -STABLE or -CURRENT CD to see if support has appeared
more recently than your release.

I have previously reported an inability to get my amd Freebsd
> 6.1 system to recognize a drive and am wondering if it is
> because the relevant device node is not in /dev. having said
> that I am unsure of what I need to be looking for or how to create it.

Device nodes are created automatically when devices are recognised.  If the device isn't recognised there is no point trying to manually create device nodes - it won't help even if you created them correctly.

AFAIK, the only things worth creating in /dev these days are symlimks, which can be done automatically using a devfs.conf rule like
link    acd0    cdrom

The days of MAKEDEV are over as its manpage testifies :-)

--Alex