Why This Infinite Loop??

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Mon Aug 21 17:48:31 UTC 2006

On Monday 21 August 2006 13:14, beno wrote:
> Gerard Seibert wrote:
> > To update portmanager, assuming you have an up-to-date port system:
> >
> > 	cd /usr/ports/sysutils/portmanager
> > 	male install & make clean
>
> Well, here's exactly what I'm doing:
>
> cd /usr/ports/sysutils/portmanager
>
> make install
> make clean
> /usr/local/bin/portmanager -u -f -l -y
>
> and then it proceeds to go back into its infinite loop!!! This is what
> I'm trying to avoid!!! I presume the reason it does that is because it
> HASN'T upgraded and is STILL at version 0.2.0_1
>
> Please help!
> TIA,
> beno

First, you have to update your ports. Do you know how to use 'portsnap'? You
could read the man or do this:

	/usr/sbin/portsnap fetch
	/usr/sbin/portsnap extract
	/usr/sbin/portsnap update
	/usr/sbin/pkg_version -vIL=

Actually, I am not sure if you have to run the update command, but it will not
hurt anything to do it. I am assuming that you have never used portsnap
before.

The last command will list everything that needs updating. Update portmanager
first.
	cd /usr/ports/sysutils/portmanager
	make deinstall
	make install && make clean

Then update the whole system:

	portmanager -u -f -l -y

That should do it. Obviously, everything is run as root.

One more thing, please do not reply to me directly and CC the list. I am
getting two copies of your posts. I only need one. Thank you!

Ciao!

--
Gerard Seibert
gerard at seibercom.net

Dying is one of the few things that can be done as easily lying down.

	Woody Allen