portmanager and perl handling

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Sun Aug 20 22:51:49 UTC 2006

On Sunday 20 August 2006 17:40, Noah wrote:
>  am running portmanager with the following switches "portmanager -u -f
> -l -y"
>  which is building all the dependencies.  I find that perl is set to the
> system version of 5.003 .   I do not want this behavior.
>
> I want to keep updating Perl to the newer version and I want perl to
> always be set to the latest port which is currently 5.8.8.  what do I
> need to change in my portmanager.conf file to make sure this happens?

I thought that portmanager did that automatically. Anyway, in the pkg-message
file, there is a notation about 'use.perl port'. That is located
in /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8/files directory. However, you will need to chmod
it to get it to run. There is also the 'perl-after-upgrade' file there that I
believe replaces the 'use.perl' program. I may be wrong about that though. In
any case, read the man on 'perl-after-upgrade' and run it. That might correct
the problem. Perhaps someone else know more about the 'use.perl' program.

Ciao!

--
Gerard Seibert
gerard at seibercom.net