Routing intp private subnet

Andreas Herrmann sma at physik.tu-berlin.de
Fri Aug 18 15:51:26 UTC 2006

Hi there,

I want to setup a gateway / firewall solution with current FreeBSD. The
network has following structure:

Several host (host[1,...,x].domain.net) are defined within the DNS and
all of them have the same A-Record with the IP 1.2.3.4
The gateway is listening on its external network interface with the IP
1.2.3.4 and has an internal interface with a private subnet
(192.168.0.0/24). The hosts (host[1,...,x].) are addressed in this subnet.

How can it be solved, that the gateway opens a tunnel to the special
host in the private subnet (let.s say 192.168.0.3) if there is a query
for host3.domain.net?

In my opinion this cannot be done because the client queries the DNS and
simply opens the connection to the IP 1.2.3.4 and the gateway has now
hints how to decide to which internal host the tunnel should be opened.

But this setup is possible because Microsoft ISA Server exactly does
this job?

I have have no idea how to solve this. First idea was a kernel bridge
between the interfaces.

Do you have any hints for me?

Thanks a lot!

Andreas