Needing a guide/tutorial please

bsd at bathnetworks.com bsd at bathnetworks.com
Fri Aug 18 07:59:28 UTC 2006

>          Looking for a guide online somewhere that will walk me through
> setting up a mail server with the following items on it.
>
> SpamAssassin
> Postfix (pop3 and smtp setup)
> MySQL (for database driven mail user administration)
> MyPHPAdmin (to visually admin the database)
> Squirrelmail (for webmail)
> Apache (for squirrelmail)
> Dovecot Imap (for squirrelmail)
> Postfix Admin <- this is the reason for the need to have a mysql driven
> mail user database.  It's apparently required for this to work.  Plus
> database driven user management tends to be easier.  Of course, if you
> know
> of a better way to graphically admin mail users without using a database,
> I'm all ears.  :)
> And lastly, some kind of web based server admin page that's similar to
> webmin, but more secure.
>
>          I want to setup a mail server with all these elements, have
> postfix, squirrelmail and dovecot be database driven and somehow create a
> mailbox tree for the webmail users for saved, spam, sent and trashcan
> folders.  Also, lastly, which format for mail is better?  Maildir or
> Mbox?  I'm partial to Mbox, but I've heard some others say Maildir is
> better.  The server is only going to host about 30-40 users for a realty
> company, so security is priority, plus it needs to have ease of
> administration because the guy who's going to admin this in the end (I'm
> just building it, he's maintaining it) isn't unix savy.  I've already done
> a lot of google diving, but with little luck.  Hence why I'm asking
> here.  If someone knows of a good guide or series of guides that'll help
> me
> through all this, it'd be greatly appreciated.  I'm used to doing this the
> hard way with sendmail and the regular freebsd users through the
> console.  So I'm really new to postfix, but I'm using it because it's
> supposedly more secure.  I'd have the guy who's admining it do the same,
> but he's too green in the console to risk it.  ;)
>
>          Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide.  :)
>

> Steven Lake
> Owner/Technical Writer
> Raiden's Realm
> www.raiden.net
> A friendly web community

Steve,

Youve asked at lot of questions in one here.

For 30 to 40 users what you are proposing is way over the top, I would
stay away from mysql etc.

I am using qmail + courier(pop3 & imap) + calamav + squirrelmail etc base
on the installation from http://www.qmailrocks.org/ with some tweeks from
Bill Olson's site http://www.goodcleanemail.com/ for spamassassin rules
and learning etc. Bill's site is useful as he uses FreeBsd. I also used
the Chkuser patch (rejecting mails during smtp for non existing users)
from John Simpson's site http://www.jms1.net/ + block lists. The setup
uses web based qmailadmin for managing mail boxes.

It has been running for nearly 2 years now and the only maintanence has
been updating clamav and tweeking the spamassassin rules.

BTW qmailrocks has an updated script for a freebsd installation using most
of the latest sw from ports. Although this is Beta3 it works - just used
it for a small business, there is also an active mailing list where Bill
and John are posting.

Hope this helps and guys please no postfix is better etc.

Rob