file restoration

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Wed Aug 16 19:25:22 UTC 2006

Martin Tournoij wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 18:21:49 +0200, Mark Manzano <mwcmark at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>  I am using freeBSD Unix and someone deleted a bunch of files from the
>> hard drive. I know when you delete a file from unix, only the pointer
>> or inode is deleted and not the actual file. From a software
>> perspective,  the information is probally gone. However on a hardware
>> perspective I believe the data is still there.  Are there any tools to
>> retrieve the lost files?
>>  This is what I want to do:
>>    On the hardware level the hard drive is a physical storage device
>> with little tiny "switches" that flip between 1's and 0's. Those
>> switches stay set to whatever they were set at unless they are set to
>> something else. What I want to attach the hard drive to another
>> computer with a second hard drive in it (a blank one) and boot to a
>> floppy disk. From there, a program or tool will scan all the switches
>> ( 1s and 0s) to try to find patterns that indicate the presence of
>> files. Then copy those files to the blank hard drive.
>>  Thank you.
>>

> There are several commercial tools that can restore file on a UFS
> partition, I'm not aware of any free tools
>
> I used Stellar Phoenix (sucsesfully) a while ago after a windows crash
> destoyed my part of my UFS partition (grmbl!)
> http://www.stellarinfo.com/disk-recovery.htm#bsd
>
> Not cheap though, $355, I don't want to encourage illegal software use,

I have used The Coroners Toolkit to recover files on Solaris a few years
ago, nearly an entire partition. The learning curve is a bit steep but
there are several how-tos available. It is more intended as an 'after
breakin' discovery tool, but it recovers files quite well.

http://www.porcupine.org/forensics/

DAve

Veterans?