new 6.1 install will not boot

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Tue Aug 15 21:01:19 UTC 2006

Perry Hutchison wrote:
>> Do you get the FreeBSD boot menu ?
>
> No.  The BIOS clears the screen and loads the boot sector, then nothing.

I'm not sure exactly what the problem is, but I can say I've
installed FreeBSD x.y on just about every flavor of Dell hardware
without much trouble, so it should work for you. Disclaimer: the
Dimension line is highly variable re: component types, chip versions
and overall quality, so all bets are off there, even though all the
pieces are generally "mainstream hardware".

Did you install using the default/suggested disk geometry and slice
arrangement, or did  you try to tune things as the installer went along?

Try this: Reinstall, and if prompted about disk geometry problems
just let the installer do what it wants to. When prompted to choose
a disk location to install to, choose "A" for "Use Entire Disk", and
when prompted to slice up that disk area, choose "A" again for "Auto
Defaults". When prompted for a boot manager, choose to install the
FreeBSD MBR.

If you already did this, then FreeBSD or your BIOS is probably
confused about proper disk geometry (got the latest BIOS for this
box?).

But if the default settings work and your custom tuning efforts
don't, well... maybe you're confused about FreeBSD disk needs or the
use of the proper use of the installer for slicing. Study the
defaults and try installing again, and if you still have problems
describe to the list the end result you're trying to achieve by your
tuning.

HTH,

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)