ICH8 Support

Josh Carroll josh.carroll at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 19:58:29 UTC 2006

To follow up on a previous thread regarding ICH8 support, what parts
of a P965 chipset based motherboard will work with existing 6-STABLE?

I'm close to buying a Conroe-ready motherboard, but I'd rather spend
$150 on a P965 board with DDR2-800 support than a more expensive
975-based board. I'm willing to wait for auxiliary support for things
like hardware monitors, etc. As long as FreeBSD will boot from the
SATA controller and the on-board GigE Intel NIC will work (I believe
it will, looking at the if_em cvs logs), then I'll likely go theP965
route. How about USB?

Are there any developers working on ICH8 at this time? If so, I would
be willing to contribue testing at the very least. Just curious what
kind of time frame we can expect the P965-based motherboards to be at
least minimally supported.

Thanks!
Josh