6.1-Stable + named & ndis + nfsd == System crash ?

Frank Staals frankstaals at gmx.net
Mon Aug 14 17:23:53 UTC 2006

About a week ago I rebuilded world and updated from 5.4-STABLE to
6.1-STABLE and I'm using a Netgear WG311v3 with ndiswrapper as WLAN
card. My computer acts as a gateway for my LAN and WLAN. Saturdaynight I
found out my server crashed while copying data from my server to my
laptop through WLAN ( using ndis0 ), when I looked in the logfiles I
couldn't find anything strange ( or at leat at the places I looked ) and
decided to let it be. But today I had the same problem; I have a couple
directories mounted using NFS ( Server: the 6.1-STABLE computer ; host :
My laptop ), when I tried to copy data from one of those directies to my
local drive suddenly my server crash again. The only strange thing I
found were these messages in /var/log/messages from the time my server
crashed:

Aug 14 15:52:22 FStaals named[541]: could not listen on UDP socket:
permission denied
Aug 14 15:52:22 FStaals named[541]: creating IPv4 interface ndis0
failed; interface ignored
Aug 14 16:52:22 FStaals named[541]: could not listen on UDP socket:
permission denied
Aug 14 16:52:22 FStaals named[541]: creating IPv4 interface ndis0
failed; interface ignored
Aug 14 17:52:22 FStaals named[541]: could not listen on UDP socket:
permission denied
Aug 14 17:52:22 FStaals named[541]: creating IPv4 interface ndis0
failed; interface ignored

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with my system crash. Or what else
I should look at to find out what is causing my system to crash ? I
looked in /var/log/messages and my dmesg, but nothing realy weird turns
up. How can I find out what went wrong and fix it ? Also what's up with
my named ? I don't notice anything wrong with trafficing etc on my wlan.

Regards,

--
-Frank Staals