quick way fall back to the original kernel

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Mon Aug 14 13:33:26 UTC 2006

On 2006-08-14 11:20, dick hoogendijk <dick at nagual.nl> wrote:
> On 13 Aug Atom Powers wrote:
> > And, although I've never tried it, you sholud be able to `cp
> > /boot/kernel.old /boot/kernel` to restore the previous kernel.>
>
> I did. A few times. I just renamed the directories to "kernel" and
> "whatevername" ;-) Works like a charm..

Right.

I usually wait a few days to make sure there are no funny problems with
the CURRENT kernel I'm using, and then run:

    # cd /boot
    # rm -fr kernel.safe
    # cp -Rp kernel kernel.safe

This way, I have /boot/kernel, /boot/kernel.old and /boot/kernel.safe.

By keeping kernel.safe out of the (kernel, kernel.old) way, I'm sure
that I won't accidentally lose my 'safe' kernels because I run "make
installkernel" at the wrong time.

HTH,
Giorgos