Can someone elplain Synchronous Writes?

Chris cdtelting-ml at comcast.net
Sun Aug 13 04:36:11 UTC 2006

I did a search but was unable to find a good explanation of what
synchronous writes are in filesystems.  A disk can only write one block
of data at a time so I fail to see what is synchronous and why it is
slow.  Is synchronous used in this case to mean serialized file operations?

Also modern hard drives have write caches so doesn't that defeat
filesystem's consistency efforts?

Lastly "soft updates" I think caches file system meta data so it updates
multiple records at once.  Isn't this similar to a hard drives write
cache and SCSI and now IDE's "native command queing" which reoders and
combines read and writes?

Chris