Undelete for UFS2?

Martin Tournoij carpetsmoker at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 19:11:16 UTC 2006

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 18:29:20 +0200, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
<chad at shire.net> wrote:

> On Aug 12, 2006, at 7:26 AM, Martin Tournoij wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 12:13:49 +0200, Andreas Davour <ante at Update.UU.SE>
>> wrote:

>>> You don't have a handy solution for the lack of file version numbering
>>> as well?
>>> That's something I'd love to see in ext4 or UFS3!
>>>
>>> /andreas
>>>

>> Snapshots?
>
> Isn't a snapshot a filesystem wide thing?  Sounds to complicated for
> file-level versioning without something on top of it like the new Apple
> Time Machine business
>
> I agree it would be nice to have file versioning in the FS like VMS does.
>
> Chad

Yeah, snapshots are FS-wide.
If you make one once a day it's almost the same as a FS VMS feature.
You can have a total of 20 snapshots, so that's 20 days...

Snapshots really aren't that complicated, take a look at the handbook
entry:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/snapshots.html

Basicly it's just:
# mknap_ffs /usr 20060812
And you have a snapshot of /usr named 20060812

Also, there's a port which offers some usefull scripts
sysutils/freebsd-snapshot