smartctl: Raw_Read_Error_Rate very high

O. Hartmann ohartman at mail.uni-mainz.de
Fri Aug 11 21:49:51 UTC 2006

Dear Sirs,

watching from time to time via smartctl my new drives (HITACHI
HDT722525DLA380 T7K250 250 GB SATA II drives) I found this line on one
drive (ad4, the 'clean' one is ad4):
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE
UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000b   100   100   016    Pre-fail
Always       -       65536

The RAW value of this entry seems to be very high, on the other drives,
it is zero.

I detected some performance issues within last days, both drives are
connected as ar0 RAID0 volume to the nForce4 chipset of the ASUS
A8N32-SLI mainboard.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

oh