BSDstats Project v2.0 ...

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Fri Aug 11 19:59:45 UTC 2006

At 11:49 AM -0500 8/11/06, Paul Schmehl wrote:

>I would note that these issues appear to be impacting
>the project.  As of right now, there are only 1612
>systems reporting in, ...

>For my part, I've submitted two public hosts.  I have
>four others I will not submit until I'm certain the
>data are securely transmitted and stored.
>
>Surely I'm not alone?

I know we are used to dealing in internet-time, where
things happen instantly, but there could be many reasons
that the host count is only 1612.  Reasons that have
nothing to do with the specific outcome of how these
security issues are handled.

I am certainly all for the improvements people have
been talking about.  I'm just saying that even if you
make all those improvements, you're probably going to
have to wait a few weeks before we see any significant
number of hosts show up.  That's just the way it is.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu