Mount Point permissions

ajm ajm91qw at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 11 01:51:32 UTC 2006

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 11:40:46PM +0100, Chris Whitehouse wrote:
> Bob Richards wrote:

> >I went so far as chown bob:bob /dev/fd0 But after newfs get's through with
> >the new floppy, it's chowned to root.
> >
> >>add a group floppyusers to /etc/group and make bob a member of that group.
> >>Chmod 664 /dev/fd0
> >
> >Went down that road as well; created a group called "mounters", added bob
> >to it.... no good! I even copied newfs to /home/bob/bin, put home/bob/bin
> >first in the PATH, made that newfs setuid/setgid  bob no effect :-( Root
> >wants to own the newly created file system no matter who formatted or
> >created it.
> >
> >>Unfortunately I don't have any machines with floppy drives to test with.
> >
> >I personally don't have a need for floppy drives either; but I am setting
> >up a dozen W/S to replace WINDOWZ in an office environment, and people
> >expect to be able to use their floppies (especially with the GUI tools in
> >KDE 3.5). I am hoping to use freebsd instead of Linux; which has become
> >hard to maintain in long-term use because of things like libraries
> >changing so often. The lack of "Library-Hell" in freebsd is refreshing.
> >
> >I guess "floppy-hell" is better than Library-hell :-) Floppy support is
> >pretty bad on freebsd! I made the mistake of ejecting a mounted floppy
> >yesterday; total system lock-up! I mean it was power off/on time! Not good!
> >
> >Bob

> I wonder if these will help
>
> http://caia.swin.edu.au/reports/041130A/
> http://networking.ringofsaturn.com/Unix/FreeBSD-Burning.php
>
> I am sure there is also something in the handbook or FAQ but I can't
> spot it at the mo.
>
> Also consider x11-fm/mtoolsfm. This is a graphical utility that allows
> copying files between hard disk, floppy disk and usb key _without_
> mounting the removeable drives. It is limited to fat or fat32
> filesystems but it does mean your users won't crash the box when they
> yank the usb key or floppy without unmounting.
>
> I've got this all set up on one box, including cd/dvd burning but it
> would take a bit of digging to find all the bits. Email me offlist if
> you want my devfs.rules and snips from other files.
>
> Chris

I am using floppies on rare occasions on an old Dell.

My setup is as follows:

/etc/fstab   does not have any reference to /dev/fd0

in the /usr/local/etc/sudoers  file I have the following:

# User privilege specification
root    ALL=(ALL) ALL
aj      ALL=/sbin/umount,/sbin/mount_msdosfs
# end of sudoers file

I have a directory with file permission 755  aj:aj

/usr/home/aj/floppy

( make sure all your users have a directory call floppy
  with the correct file permission )

I use a small script owned by root but may be executed by all

inside this script is a small message tell you it will be
mounting a floppy and it must not be copy-protected

next is the following line:

sudo mount_msdosfs /dev/fd0 ~/floppy

Now I use fluxbox...but this can be adapted to KDE

withing the fluxbox menu I added the following:

aterm -fg white -bg black -e name_of_script.sh

( note: I am using aterm not xterm...but should work
  xterm -e name_of_script.sh )

make another script to unmount with the following command

sudo umount /dev/fd0

Have fun with FreeBSD...

--
FreeBSD 6.0 i386 GENERIC