vmware library problem

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Thu Aug 10 09:04:13 UTC 2006

dick hoogendijk wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 07:59:53 +0000
> Robin Becker <robin at reportlab.com> wrote:
>
>> I fixed this by adding LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/X11R6/lib to the
>> environment, but since I actually have a choice of
>>
>> /usr/compat/linux/usr/X11R6/lib
>> /usr/X11R6/lib
>>
>> which should I actually use? For some reason even though I'm using a
>> fresh portupgraded system the libraries the two locations are not the
>> same.
>
> Sure they're not the same. They belong to a different OS!
> The first are linux libraries, the second thos of FreeBSD.

hmmm, I thought they both come from Xorg, it's obvious that different systems
might apply different patches, but in practice shouldn't there be just one copy
of libX11.so.6 on any given system? Presumably my KDE is operating with the
freeBSD patched one so why should linux compatible apps use a different version?
  If a different compiler were required or different calling conventions assumed
then it would be reasonable, but I couldn't see any obvious differences in the
compilations.
--
Robin Becker