ext usb2 drive and fbsd6

dick hoogendijk dick at nagual.nl
Thu Aug 10 08:47:41 UTC 2006

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 11:20:08 -0700
Micah <micahjon at ywave.com> wrote:

> dick hoogendijk wrote:
> > Maybe I should not ask this here but I take my chances. I love fbsd
> > but it /is/ pickier on some hardware than windows and I don't want
> > to use that software, so..
> >
> > I'm planning an external hardrive. NAS (network attached storage)
> > drive are very expensive. So I will buy an usb2 drive, I think.
> >
> > As always, money's short ;-)
> >
> > Do you have suggestions on *good* working and not to expensive usb2
> > harddisks for FreeBSD-6.1?
> >
> > They should be reliable and easy to mount on my server.
>
> I have a Western Digital "Essential" USB hard drive that I use for
> backup purposes on my 6.1 system.
> http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=182
> Haven't had any problems yet.

And how about slicing or newfs'n such a drive. Can it be handled as a
normal internal drive or can it only be used as an extra space and do I
have to build it in to make two or more partitions for example?

--
dick -- http://nagual.nl/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 ++ The Power to Serve