pkg_add question

V.I.Victor idmc_vivr at intgdev.com
Wed Aug 9 23:53:17 UTC 2006

Probably nothing!

I (wrongly) thought that *all* 5.x package/paths had the same version of 'fetchmail' and when I found the new 'fetchmail' in 6.x I figured that was where I had to get it.

I'll try a 'pkg_add' from packages-5-stable as soon as I can stop the system for a while.

Thanks for the pointer!

Although I should probably have installed ports during the original install -- I didn't.  Now, it seems a long way to go just to see if the newest version of 'fetchmail' fixes its problem (I'm not confident it will)

>> What I've read *seems* to indicate it's OK, but...
>
>Where did you read this, so we can try to correct the bogus advice?

Hard to say.  I did 6-8 Google searches with various keys trying to find some specifics for adding packages between FreeBSD versions.  The "*seems*...OK" I mentioned may have been in relation to simple programs.  I don't know.

Since I was unable to find anything solid, I asked here!

Again -- Thank-you.