BSDstats Project v2.0 ...

pauls at utdallas.edu pauls at utdallas.edu
Wed Aug 9 03:45:51 UTC 2006

--On August 9, 2006 9:32:18 AM +1000 Antony Mawer
<fbsd-questions at mawer.org> wrote:

> On 9/08/2006 9:16 AM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>> Can you tell me exactly what you do with those two pieces of data?  Is
>>> there any way that information would be accessible from the internet?
>>
>> Absolutely nothing else we do with it ... it just gives us a unique key
>> to work with ... in fact, assuming each of your servers use a different
>> IP, there is no reason you couldn't do the uname trick above to hide
>> the  hostname ...
>>
>> Unless someone breaks into the server, or database, somehow, the data
>> isn't accessible ...
>
> What if we improved upon this - if instead of storing the hostname and
> IP address, we stored a one-way hash of this information? OpenSSH in
> recent versions takes the same approach with its authorized_keys files...

I like that idea.  I'm ready to submit my workstation, but I'm still a bit
hesitant about some servers I admin....A one way hash would alleviate my
concerns.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas