Port Not Available

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Aug 8 20:00:17 UTC 2006

Gerard Seibert wrote:
> Matthew Seaman wrote:
>
>> Only if you enable IPv6.  ie. you put:
>>
>>     ipv6_enable="YES"
>>
>> into /etc/rc.conf.  That will cause each of your interfaces to have at least
>> a link-local IPv6 address configured, and lo0 will get the ::1 address applied
>> to it.  See /etc/rc.d/ip6addrctl /etc/rc.d/network_ipv6 for the gory details.

> That notation is in my rc.conf file. It was put there by sysinstall when
> I first installed the system.
>
> So, shouldn't it resolve to something or is it working the way it is
> designed too?

Hmmm... what does:

    ifconfig lo0

return? You should actually see two IPv6 addresses configured, like so:

    happy-idiot-talk:~:% ifconfig lo0
    lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
            inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
            inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
            inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

Also your original test was connecting to a SMTP server on the
loopback.  What does:

    sockstat | grep :25

return?  Seeing ::1:25 in the output would be good.  However, it is
entirely possible that your MTA isn't binding to IPv6 addresses.

If you're trying to make lpd(8) work, you should be looking for stuff
listening on port 515.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Flat 3