BSDstats Project v2.0 ...

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at freebsd.org
Tue Aug 8 18:39:16 UTC 2006

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Karol Kwiatkowski wrote:

> On 07/08/2006 05:42, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>
>> I've now committed v2.0 of the 300.statistics periodic script ... this
>> one adds the device reporting that we'd talked about previously, and the
>> summary reports now reflect the driver(s) in use for those deciding to
>> report ...
>>
>> This Phase of the script is optional, and not enabled by default ... I
>> can't think of any reason why you wouldn't want to report it, but just
>> in case someone feels it poses a problem, its an opt-in report ...
>>
>> pkg-message updated to reflect the extra line you need to add to
>> /etc/periodic.conf:
>>
>>         monthly_statistics_report_devices=yes
>>
>> I've written it to report driver + chip= information from pciconf -l,
>> since even pciconf -lv doesn't seem to use card= ... the summary report
>> will be extended next to show both vendor and chip statistics ...
>>
>> Let me know of any problems ...
>

> Hi Marc,
>
> thank you for your work!
>
> Is it considered 'stable' or still in development/testing? Should we
> go and tell others or is it too early yet?

Its was considered stable as soon as the uname output was sent out :)  Any
additions done are done in such a way that it shouldn't break the previous
ones, and are add-ons, not core ... so even someone still running an *old*
(now!) v1.0 script won't have any problems, it just means devices reports
are sent out for them yet until they upgrade to v2.0 ...

So, yes, defintely ... tell anyone and everyone that is running a *BSD
system ... I'm having talks with Matt @ DragonflyBSD for one addition he'd
like to see added to make sure that the script checks for network
connectivity before trying to send its reports, after which he's planning
on adding it to Dragonfly's base system install ... but, again, that won't
affect older versions ...

----