Postfix & SASL Authentication

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Tue Aug 8 16:15:57 UTC 2006

Greg Groth wrote:

> On 8/8/2006 9:20 AM, Gerard Seibert wrote:
> > FreeBSD 6.1 STABLE
> >
> > I have SASL and Postfix installed and for the most part they seem to
> > work all right together. However, there is one small problem.
> >
> > When attempting to send a message from one of the PC's on the network,
> > actually any PC on the network except for the one with Postfix installed
> > on it, this error message is inserted into the maillog file.
> >
> > Aug  8 10:11:32 scorpio postfix/smtpd[1310]: connect from boss.seibercom.net[192.168.0.4]
> > Aug  8 10:11:32 scorpio postfix/smtpd[1310]: warning: SASL authentication failure: no user in db
> > Aug  8 10:11:32 scorpio postfix/smtpd[1310]: 859B9BD6C: client=boss.seibercom.net[192.168.0.4], sasl_method=LOGIN, sasl_username=gerard at seibercom.net
> >
> > All of the users are authenticated. Exactly what is it referring to and how do I correct it? The mail does get relayed however, so it is not a fatal warning.
> >

> Which version of SASL?  v1 or v2?
>
> The following is based on ym experience with v2, and I don't know if it
> applies to v1 or not.
>
> As far as the message in you log file, it's attempting to authenticate,
> but it's not connecting to the user database to verify the user.  More
> than likely it's allowing you to send mail from the local server because
> you have Postfix configured to allow it to relay mail from localhost,
> and that this is allowing you to send the email even though
> authentication is failing.
>
> To determine which authentication methods Postfix will accept, telnet to
> localhost on port 25 and issue a EHLO:
>
> mail# telnet localhost 25
> Trying ::1...
> Connected to localhost.domain.com.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 mail.domain.com ESMTP Postfix
>
> EHLO localhost
>
> 250-mail.domain.com
> 250-PIPELINING
> 250-SIZE 10240000
> 250-VRFY
> 250-ETRN
> 250-AUTH NTLM LOGIN PLAIN GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
> 250-AUTH=NTLM LOGIN PLAIN GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250 DSN
>
> In this instance, the AUTH line dictates which authentication mechanisms
> Postfix will accept.  In this case: NTLM LOGIN PLAIN GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5
> CRAM-MD5

This is the output of mine:

$ telnet localhost 25
Trying ::1...
telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 scorpio.seibercom.net ESMTP Postfix (2.4-20060727)
ehlo localhost
250-scorpio.seibercom.net
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 10240000
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250-AUTH=LOGIN PLAIN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN

I noticed that the first attempt is refused. Why I wonder.

> Check your /usr/local/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf file and make sure that you
> have the correct auth mechanism listed.  For plain text login that's
> verified against your existing users, your smtpd.conf file would read as
> follows:
>
> pwcheck_method: saslauthd
>
> This will verify against your existing user accounts.  There are other
> methods, such as pwcheck_method:  sasldb, that will verify against
> SASL's own password database, which I've never used.
>
> Make sure that you have saslauthd running (which it appears you do).
>
> Issue the following:
>
> # /usr/local/sbin/testsaslauthd -u username -p password
> 0: OK "Success."
>
> If saslauthd is operating correctly, you'll recieve the OK "Success."
> If not, your problem is with saslauthd.
>
> If your AUTH line does not list the right AUTH mechanism, the problem is
> with Postfix.  For instance, if you're trying to use SMTP-AUTH from a
> client on your network, and have pwcheck_method: saslauthd defined in
> your smtpd.conf file, you have to have PLAIN LOGIN appear in the AUTH
> line when telnetting.

This is the contents of the smtpd.conf file:

##      Global Values
pwcheck_method: auxprop
auxprop_plugin: sasldb
log_level: 7