Howto insert string. (Was: Re: [freebsd-questions] awk quickie.)

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Mon Aug 7 18:57:35 UTC 2006

On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 10:47:47AM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Kurt Wall wrote:

> >>I'd probably do "grep -vi bgcolor filename"
> >>

> >[bad form to reply to my own post, etc.]
> >
> >Doh! You want to *insert* the string, not (just) find the ones that
> >don't have it. My ed/ex chops blow, so with sed:
> >
> >sed -i '' 's/<BODY>/<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">/' file_name
> >
> >Kurt
> You may just want to use CSS as well instead of hardcoding in HTML
> values like that. The background-color property is pretty much common
> and universal in all browsers, since CSS 1.0(/1.1?).
> -Garrett

	Good thought, indeed.  Some (many) years back when I was looking at
	preparing a book-length doc for the web with HTML I actually did
	use the style-sheet method.  IIRC, it worked well with HTML-2.0.
	But with my Jotting stuff it got a little fancier, bit-by-bit
	until I had at least two jpegs/*php plus very light blue <TABLE>
	formatting [15%, 70%, 15%], and a textured.jpg "paper" bg on the
	70%.  That's 3 jpegs.   I don't know if you can do something like
	that with CSS.  I wound up creating *one* html/php template, and
	mouse cut-and-pasting my segue, then the <CENTER>meditation</CENTER>
	and after a few hours it was good enough... .

	I'll check into the style sheets; thanks!

	gary

	PS:  I also checked out Don Knuth's TeX stuff, but that's waaaaay
	     overkill :-)

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix