perl problem

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Mon Aug 7 07:05:23 UTC 2006

On 2006-08-03 10:50, RJ45 <rj45 at slacknet.com> wrote:
> Hello using imapsync to make a transition from imapuw to a
> cyrus server make the imapsync perl process to die on FreeBSD
> 6.1 because it uses more than 512MB of memory.
>
> this does not happen using imapsync with the same transfer
> operations on hte same mailboxes on a Linux fedora box the
> memory used also is less than 512MB.
>
> recompiling ther kernel of FreeBSD rising the memory to 1GB
> does not fix this at all. Seems like the perl process on
> FreeBSD explodes in memory.

You don't have to rebuild your kernel to raise the maximum data
segment size.  Just set kern.maxdsiz in /boot/loader.conf and
boot with the new setting.

> How can I do to fix this issue, any hints ?

Increasing kern.maxdsiz and checking that the user limits are not
still set to 512 MB may help a bit, but if the program still
tries to allocate enormous amounts of memory I'm not sure if this
is going to help a lot.