4TB filesystem

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Mon Aug 7 06:02:59 UTC 2006

On Aug 6, 2006, at 11:51 PM, Igor Robul wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 05, 2006 at 08:35:31PM +0100, Martin Hepworth wrote:
>> Softupdates removes the issue if havinh to fsck filesystems after and
>> unclean umount.....
> Background fsck does not work well with big filesystems, it can
> literaly
> make server useless for long period of time, sometimes I just boot
> server in single user mode and do "fsck -y" because while it means
> downtime, but after this downtime server will work ... while
> background
> fsck eats all server memory and most of CPU.
>
> I'm very happy, that I dont need do this often :-)

If I remember the postings or news from a while back right, someone
is porting ZFS from OpenSolaris to FreeBSD(?).  I will be glad when
this happens.  I have been playing with ZFS on a Solaris machine and
it is majorly cool.  Goodbye fsck and Hello ease of use and performance.

<http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/intro/>

Chad

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC