Network Failure

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sun Aug 6 15:18:47 UTC 2006

Jonathan Anthony wrote:
> When I boot up, it gets to the point when it tries to bring up the ethernet card, and then it prints out this error:
>
> DHCPDISCOVER on r10 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 5
> DHCPOFFER from 192.068.0.1
> Bogus domain search list 15: domain_not_set.invalid (domain_not_set.invalid)
> invalid release option - ignoring offer
>
> packet_to_lease failed.
>
> Anyway, I need to get the internet working so I can get more software. Thank you.

The DHCP server on your network has not been configured properly.  You or your
helpful sysadmin (if you have one, your ISP if not) will need to fix that,
before trying to obtain a DHCP lease on a client will work right.

Note that using ifconfig and "route add default" to set up your Internet
connection manually will work if you know the network config information.

--
-Chuck