cups problems

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Fri Aug 4 19:49:01 UTC 2006

On Friday 04 August 2006 11:47, John Nielsen wrote:

> You have the permissions fixed, which was half the solution for me
> when I made the upgrade. The other half was to abandon cups' usb
> back-end for the time being, since it doesn't work (as well as it
> used to). The workaround suggested in an earlier thread on this
> subject was to stop cups and manually edit the printers.conf file (in
> /usr/local/etc/cups), replacing the "usb:" portion of the printer URI
> with "file:". This worked for me and several others, although I
> remember posts that it did not work for some.

It works! Thank you!

There is one oddity though. The printer "ready" light flashes as normal,
but then the "attention" light flashes. Pressing the "go" button then
prints out the job. According to the printer manual, this means
either "manual feed" or "continuation error". I suspect that somehow
manual feed is getting sent to the printer (even though it isn't set in
cups printer options). A minor annoyance, but one I can live with.

--
David Johnson <david at usermode.org>