.bash_logout and shutdown -- need ideas

DW spock at dwinner.net
Fri Aug 4 17:09:05 UTC 2006

Andrew Gould wrote:
> --- DW <spock at dwinner.net> wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> Have a bit of an issue here:
>>
>> Just started using a .bash_logout script to handle
>> doing my unison
>> commands whenever I logout at end of day so I don't
>> forget to sync my
>> local homedir to my server before I head home.
>>
>> Works fine as long as I just do a "# exit" when I'm
>> done.
>>
>> But more often than not, I do a "# sudo shutdown -p
>> now".
>>
>> The problem with that though, is that the shutdown
>> process runs as root,
>> and just drops the system, and I'm never actually
>> getting logged out as
>> much as booted out. So my .bash_logout doesn't run,
>> and thus no unison
>> unless I remember to run it manually first.
>>
>> Any ideas on how to work around this sitch?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> DW
>>

> Instead of using .bash_logout, why don't you create a
> script that runs all of your logout tasks and then
> ends with 'sudo shutdown -p now'?

That's a good idea; I'll probably end up doing something like that; I
was actually thinking of of just making bash aliases for reboot and
shutdown, I guess that would do the same thing.
The other problem though I just discovered is that that will work fine
if I'm just in on a console, but if I'm running XFCE, and choose reboot
or shutdown from xfce's exit menu, that won't work. If I can't find a
way to get xfce to use my exit script(s), then I guess I'll just have to
get into the habit of bailing out to a console first before shutting down.