Stand up and be counted - BSDStats Project

User Freebsd freebsd at hub.org
Fri Aug 4 13:17:11 UTC 2006

On Fri, 4 Aug 2006, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> This is cool and all, but why are the concentration solely on PCI
> devices? pciconf output doesn't tell you directly what CPUs are in the
> system or even how many there are.  It doesn't tell you exactly what
> sort of memory or disk drives the system uses -- all of which would be
> important information that might just persuade hardware manufacturers to
> provide more FreeBSD support. Surely a condensed version of
> /var/run/dmesg.boot is more to the point.

/var/run/dmesg.boot can't be relied on, unfortunately ... I've had *many*
times where a reboot leaves that blank, or with "non-dmesg like" output
... if you can provide a non-dmesg method of adding this information that
is consistent (ie. pciconf), then sure, we can add this sort of
information ...

----