Gotta start somewhere ... how many of us are really out there?

Antony Mawer fbsd-questions at mawer.org
Fri Aug 4 02:03:47 UTC 2006

On 4/08/2006 11:44 AM, Nikolas Britton wrote:
> 899 bytes * (10^7) = 8.37258995 gigabytes... Remember... Once this
> code is pushed out to hosts you can't change it. 10 years from now
> we'll still have hosts sending in old data.... What was wrong with my
> netcat idea?
>
> uname -mr | nc statistics.freebsd.org 1234
>
> It's one, short, line of code and you know exactly what it's doing.
> Simple, Easy, Done.

Part of the idea I mentioned earlier was using a hash of this
information... so the first time you send it through, you generate a
hash and store it... then in future you can iterate over the hardware
list, hash it, compare it against your stored hash, and only send if the
hardware inventory has changed...

Not everywhere has unrestricted access out to the Internet via whatever
port they want... I know of many sites that only allow HTTP, and only
via a proxy...

I guess there's two different goals here... the uname -mr gives vendors
an idea of what install base is out there when they're considering
developing drivers/platform support... the hardware inventory gives
vendors, developers and users an idea of what existing hardware is in use...

... if someone could bring up a list and find out that 500,000 people
were using such-and-such a driver, it may influence the decision as to
whether or not to update said driver when architectural changes are
being made that require updates to the drivers... instead of the current
system of sending an email out and hoping the appropriate users spot it
on the appropriate mailing list and pipe up...

-Antony