Stand up and be counted - BSDStats Project

Antony Mawer fbsd-questions at mawer.org
Fri Aug 4 00:23:06 UTC 2006

On 4/08/2006 7:30 AM, User Freebsd wrote:
> STEP 2:
>
> pciconf -lv needs to be parsed, this being the hard step, into a string
> that can be sent via HTTP ... this is the hard part because it has to be
> done as/in a shell script ... anyone out there *really* good at shell
> programming?

See my comment in the other thread -- you don't need any of the text
details, all yo uneed are teh class/card/chip/rev/hdr fields. The bits
before it would be helpful to identify what drivers are attached on
different versions (and also to see what drivers people disable vs leave
enabled for bits of their hardware).

> Optimally, we'd love to have everyone report pciconf information, since
> knowing what vendors and devices are in use would definitely add more
> weight then *just* what version of FreeBSD, but in order to hopefully
> get as much "buy into" this as possible, the script should be written to
> allow it to be disabled ... again, I can't think of why someone would
> feel that that was 'sensitive information', but providing the option to
> shut it off is definitely a must ...

Agreed - if someone wants to stand up and be counted, but they feel
details of their hardware choices to be a gross violation of their
personal privacy, then we shouldn't put that in their way as a barrier
to adoption.

-Antony